Botox (Face Rejuvenation)
Wrinkles-It is the one thing we all get eventually in our lives when we get old. People generally start noticing these fine lines and wrinkles around their mouth and eyes near their 30s. The wrinkles cannot be avoided, and everyone desires to look beautiful, so what is the effective way to make them less noticeable?
Botox is a very popular way these days to get rid of fine lines and wrinkles. It is to be noted that Botox is not cosmetic surgery. Rather it is a cosmetic treatment. It is the brand name of botulinum toxin, which is a popular neurosurgical injection that can permanently or temporarily reduce both fine lines and wrinkles.
It is a sure-shot treatment for people who are having a hard time with fine lines on their faces. Besides treating wrinkles and fine lines, it is also an effective treatment for:
- Smoothing crow’s feet around eyes, forehead furrows, lip lines, and bunny lines around the bridge of your nose.
- Improve the appearance of skin dimpling of the chin
- Reduce neck bands
- Correct a gummy smile
- Soften a square jawline
- Lift the corners of the mouth
The question that arises here now is how does Botox work? Botox injections block the nerve signals reaching the muscles in which it is injected. When the signal is not there, the muscle will be unable to contract. As a result, there will be fewer fine lines and wrinkles.
The best part about Botox is that people get to see results within 24 to 48 hours.
Dr. Amit Gupta is a renowned Indian plastic surgeon based in Delhi and Gurgaon. He is an expert in rectifying various conditions that occur after aging like fine lines and wrinkles. He recommends a series of procedures that your body will need and his botox surgery prices are affordable too.
The backstory of Botox is a little strange.it originates from bacteria clostridium botulinum, a neurotoxin, which is mostly found in soil. The bacteria caused severe food poisoning when ingested. It causes the disease botulism.
However, in late 1970, scientists introduced Botox to the world as a remedy for all sorts of physical problems. Initially, Botox was used to treat crossed eyes. It was noticed that it weakened the forehead muscles located between the eyes, thus reducing the brow wrinkling and scowling.
Where did Botox come from?
Botox is a patented form of a purified botulinum toxin, Type A. In the year 1989, it was approved for medical uses like for the treatment for crossed eyes, neck spasms, etc.
FDA approved it in the year 2002 to be used as between the brow injection. It was approved in the year 2013 for the treatment of crow’s feet.
These days it is extremely helpful in the treatment of migraines. It is a widely approved treatment for fine lines and wrinkles. It prevents the exposure of skin to repeated muscle movements, thereby slowing down the whole aging process.
Benefits of Botox Surgery
- Botox cosmetic surgery is a boon for people who are looking for ways to look younger and improve their facial appearance. With regular Botox treatments, you will be able to reduce wear and tear on your face with time.
- Botox treatment can be coupled with facial fillers. The duo can give you a facelift and also assist in plumping unattractive facial features.
- Besides the above two benefits, it can also help in the treatment of:
- Migraine management
- Crossed eyes
- Excessive sweating in underarms and palms
- Muscle spasms in the neck
- Botox is also effective in relieving stress, anxiety, and facial tension arising from aging, grinding teeth, and pressure buildup in the face and jawline area.
- Botox helps to calm down the nervous system. People who get Botox are relatively happier and healthier.
Who is a good candidate for getting Botox?
You are a good candidate for Botox if:
- You have moderate or severe wrinkles.
- If your wrinkles are located in the areas like between or around the eyes, around neck, forehead which Botox can treat.
- You are in good health and you are not suffering from any major disease.
- You have realistic expectations from the treatment,
Who should not get Botox?
You do not become an ideal candidate for Botox if:
- You have an allergy to any ingredient present in Botox or any other botulinum product
- You have a skin infection in the area where you plan to take Botox.
- You are either pregnant or breastfeeding
- You have a nerve condition like ALS or any other muscle condition
- You are suffering from any severe illness or infection
How to plan for Botox Treatment
Creating a Botox treatment plan is very necessary if you are planning to gain a youthful look. While getting a Botox treatment, it is vital to keep in mind that Botox is not a permanent treatment for wrinkles and fine lines. You need regular injections to keep the skin wrinkle-free. While planning a Botox treatment, discuss the following things with your cosmetic surgeon:
- Your needs: The first thing to discuss with your surgeon is where you need the Botox treatment. Are you looking to solve your crow’s issue? Or are you looking for a treatment for horizontal lines on the eyebrows? Do you need Botox for other problems like sweating or migraines? Knowing the area where you need a Botox, will help you plan better.
- Surgeries, pregnancies, and medications: Discuss in detail with your cosmetic surgeon if you are planning any further face surgery. It is also important to inform your doctor of the medications you are on and above all it is extremely important to tell your surgeon if you are planning to get pregnant in the future. All these things can delay your next Botox appointment. For example, if you get pregnant after getting a Botox treatment, then it is better to wait until you are finished breastfeeding to get your next treatment.
- Frequency of injections: The frequency of injections depends on how well your body responds to Botox. No two people respond to the Botox treatment in the same way. Other factors that contribute to its frequency are smoking or the inability to take proper care of the skin. Though it is important to get regular Botox treatment to keep the skin young, it should be kept in mind that getting the treatment at the same place again and again can make the muscles of the area weak and Botox will no longer be effective there. Consultation with experienced doctors like Dr. Amit Gupta can help you decide the frequency of injections.
How to decide the frequency of Botox treatment?
If you are wondering how long a Botox treatment lasts, the results will be visible for 3 to 4 months after which you have to get the treatment again. However, several factors can shorten or lengthen the period:
- Age is a very important factor. Older people who have less muscle tone, their results diminish much faster than the young people who have a firm muscle tone.
- Your expressions and facial structure
- You smoke or not
- If you take good care of your skin, your results will last much longer
- How much you expose your skin to the skin
- The need for treatment varies from person to person. Some people get long-lasting results after a long-term treatment while others develop resistance to the treatment.
Working of Botox
A wrinkle is formed perpendicular to the contracting muscle located directly below it. For example, the muscle that is in the forehead is a vertical muscle and when it contracts when you raise the eyebrow, the lines forming the wrinkles will be horizontal.
Similarly, the muscles that are responsible for the frown lines are located horizontally between the eyebrows, and when they contract, the frown lines formed appear to be vertical.
Botox is injected into the muscles where it will block the nerve impulses from going into the tissues. The muscle activity that causes the frown lines will thus get reduced and will give a smoother look. When there will not be a contracting muscle below it, the skin will not wrinkle.
Botox is not an effective treatment for the facial lines that exist when the face is relaxed. These lines can be better treated by using dermal fillers. Botox can soften these lines, but it is not an effective way to get rid of them.
It takes 10 minutes to get a Botox treatment and there is no downtime after it. After the treatment, it would take few days to see the results of the treatment. Maximum results of the treatment are seen after 10 to 14 days and what you see after these days is the maximum effect of the treatment.
- Though injecting Botox may look like a simple procedure, it involves art and science and that is why it is better to get it done by a very experienced cosmetic surgeon only. Since there are 43 muscles in total on the face, it is very important to get the treatment done by the person who understands the correct spots of injecting it.
- A very thin needle is used to inject botulinum toxin into the specific muscles. The surgeon will weaken only the wrinkle-causing muscle thereby preserving the natural facial expressions.
- The treatment lasts only for 15b minutes or less.
- The number of injections depends on the extent of wrinkles and fine lines on your face. For example, Crow’s lines get treated in 3 injections whereas it takes 5 injections to treat furrows above brows.
Things to keep in mind before getting Botox
Before getting the treatment:
- Make sure that your surgeon knows the medicines you are currently on.
- If you are on anti-coagulants or blood thinners, stop taking them as they may increase the chances of bleeding
- Do not take NSAIDs if you are planning to get Botox
- Do not take alcohol before the procedure as it can increase the chances of redness and bruising
- If you smoke, stop it before the procedure as it can also increase the chances of bleeding.
After Care and Recovery
After getting your Botox treatment follow the below instructions or aftercare:
- Try to remain upright for 4 hours at least after the treatment
- Try not to wear any kind of headband or band on the forehead if you had the Botox treatment on the forehead or between your eyebrows.
- Try to keep away from any kind of hard-core exercise after the Botox treatment as it can cause damage to the procedure. However, you can do low impact exercises like mild walking
- Don’t massage or manipulate the area of the procedure for at least 24 hours after the surgery. Refrain from getting a facial, or using makeup.
- Do not take ibuprofen, aspirin, or any other health supplements for at least 24 hours after the procedure.
- The most common symptom after getting a Botox treatment is a headache. Take the pain relievers prescribed by your doctor religiously and if you have a problem with chronic headaches, then take the medicine prescribed by your doctor after consulting your cosmetic surgeon.
- It takes at least 10 to 14 days to see the optimum results of Botox. Therefore, it is best to have a follow-up with your surgeon after 10 to 14 days of the procedure.
- The first week after the Botox: The results can be seen very quickly after getting a Botox procedure. It takes a very small amount of time for the muscles to relax and in a few days, you can see a great improvement in your fine lines and wrinkles.
After the first week, people may experience some redness, bruising, and swelling as side effects of Botox treatment. However, these symptoms are normal and they eventually go away with time. There is nothing to worry about as nothing has gone wrong with the treatment, however, it is very important not to touch or rub the swelled area.
- After a few weeks: In some cases, it takes a week or two to see the complete results of a Botox treatment. After a few weeks the potential side effects of the treatment are gone and the results of the procedure become highly visible. You will be amazed to see how young and refreshing your face will start looking.
- Four months after Botox: Post three or four months, the effects of a Botox treatment start to wane. You will start noticing that the fine lines will start appearing again and eventually your pre-Botox face will get back. However, there is nothing to worry about because the good news is that the Botox procedure is so convenient that it can be done again easily requiring zero effort.
Factors affecting Botox results
Certain factors can affect the results of a Botox treatment. They are:
- Patients who have thick muscles require more Botox treatment compared to the patients who have thin muscles to achieve the desired look. The reason behind this is that the thick muscles are difficult to affect with the injections and doctors refrain from injecting deeper into the thick muscles and that is why more injections are given at the area to meet the required safety standards.
- Your lifestyle greatly determines the durability of your Botox results. For example, if you are an athlete, then your results will fade away more quickly. This is because the metabolism of athletes is higher that in turn will make the results fade away soon, therefore, physically active bodies eliminate Botox quickly from their bodies.
- Repetition is also a factor that decides the longevity of Botox results. When the injections are given, again and again, the muscles that cause the wrinkles to become weak due to which the effect of a Botox injection will last much longer.
Scheduling an appointment with an experienced surgeon will help you determine how long the results of Botox last and what factors determine their longevity.
Potential Side Effects
The side effects are uncommon after getting a Botox treatment. However, every individual is different and the side effects may vary from person to person. Some common side effects that a person can experience after Botox are:
- Upset stomach
- Dry eyes
- Mild swelling, numbness, and bruising
- Eyelid drooping
- Pain at the injected site
- Weakness in the muscles
People who have an allergy or infection at the site where you want to get Botox, should not get the Botox treatment done till the infection fades away. Depending on the type of Botox treatment, Botox may affect people differently. In some cases, it is also seen that people can suffer from breathing problems.
Genetic factors also play a major role in the effectiveness of Botox.
Botox vs Dermal Fillers
Most people are confused between Botox and dermal fillers since they both are used to treat wrinkles on the face. However, there are differences between the two. Let us have a look:
Botox: Botox is basically a muscle relaxer that is made from a bacterium. It has been in the medical industry for about two decades now and is basically used to treat the neurological disorders that lead to muscle weakness. It is also used to treat migraines.
However, Botox is primarily used to treat wrinkles and fine lines on the face. These wrinkles occur around the eyes, mouth, and eyebrows. Botox relaxes the muscles that cause these wrinkles. However, it is to be noted that Botox cannot be used to treat the fine lines that are caused as a result of collagen breakdown. Botox treatment can be used to treat specific areas where wrinkles are more visible and it will take only a few days or weeks to see the optimum results of Botox.
Dermal Fillers: Like Botox, dermal fillers are also used to treat wrinkles on the face. Basically, dermal fillers are used in the treatment of smile lines and can also be used to add plump to the lips and cheeks. At times they are also used in the treatment of scars.
Like Botox, dermal fillers are also injectable. They are temporary and are mainly used to treat the soft tissues on the face.
Effectiveness of Botox vs Dermal fillers
Botox: Botox produces results for almost all people and you will be able to see the optimum results of the procedure within a week. Side effects are uncommon in Botox, like swelling and numbing and they usually go away with time. The effect of Botox depends on certain factors like physical activity, genetic factors, etc.
After a Botox treatment, you can carry daily activities as there is no downtime in this procedure. The effects of Botox last for 3 to 4 months and you need additional treatments to maintain the youthful-looking face.
Dermal Fillers: The results of dermal fillers depend on the type of filler you use for the treatment. Also, like Botox, they are effective but they have more side effects as compared to Botox.
It should also be kept in mind that Botox and dermal fillers treat different problems and are also applied to different areas of the face. However, both treatments can be used in conjunction to achieve the best results.
Botox surgery cost in India
If you want to maintain youthful-looking skin, then Botox is a very effective procedure. If you have decided to get a Botox treatment, then you might want to know its cost. The cost of Botox treatment in India varies from patient to patient and it also depends on the needs of patients.
The advantage of getting a Botox treatment in India is that its cost is very low as compared to any western country like the US and UK. India is also medically advanced than other developing countries and therefore, Botox treatment is very popular in India. The cost of Botox treatment in India also depends on:
- Doctor’s experience and qualifications
- Number of units of Botox fillers used
- Number of injections used
The botox surgery cost in India ranges from 20,000 to 30,000 per sitting.
Cost of Botox treatment in Delhi
Facial rejuvenation cost in Delhi and Gurgaon is affordable and client-friendly. The cost depends on many factors like the experience and qualification of a doctor, the number of injections required, and also on the units of botox used.
If you are planning to get a botox treatment in Delhi, then Indian doctor Dr. Amit Gupta is the best in business. His experience and knowledge in the area of cosmetic surgery are unbeatable and his results are mind-blowing. Above all, all his treatments are available at client-friendly rates, which is the most common area that people like to treat with Botox.
At Divine Cosmetic Surgery, we believe in taking extreme steps to avoid any kind of infection after the treatment and that is why we use only original BOTOX by Allergan. We do not use cheap equivalents and use fresh vials for each patient.
Botox treatment should only be given by qualified cosmetic surgeons. Its price highly depends on the number of units used. On average 30-50 units are used in the upper half of the face
Frequently asked questions
- Is Botox a form of plastic surgery?
According to facts, Botox is a type of skin rejuvenation procedure and can be considered as a type of plastic surgery. However, if we talk more specifically, it is a non-invasive form of cosmetic surgery. Regardless of the terminology, the prime thing that you need to know is that the Botox procedure does not require any kind of stitches or the use of scalpels. Rather it is a medical procedure. It is considered plastic surgery as it changes the appearance of the person temporarily.
- What is Botox plastic surgery?
Botox is a cosmetic form of a toxin known as botulinum, an injection that works by blocking the nerve impulses that cause contraction of muscles leading to the formation of wrinkles and furrows. Botox can also treat dynamic wrinkles that are caused by repeated facial expressions. It is injected under the skin and thus reduces creases on the forehead, frown lines, and crow’s feet that occur near the eye area.
- Can you get Botox before surgery?
Many people have a question –Can you botox before surgery? So, if you are planning to get cosmetic surgery, it is recommended to stop getting Botox treatment 3 months before it. Botox should not be done at the time of surgery under anesthesia as it can cause major side effects.
- Is Botox cheaper than cosmetic surgery?
Yes, Botox is relatively cheaper than other forms of cosmetic surgery. People usually like to get a non-invasive procedure to change the appearance of their face without spending millions on it. Botox is done in minimum time and also downtime is very less.
Also, it is reported that the use of Botox has increased ten folds as it is one of the most affordable ways to change one’s appearance and look young.
- What is facial rejuvenation?
Facial rejuvenation is a cosmetic treatment that aims to restore a youthful appearance to the human face. It can be achieved via surgical and non-surgical procedures. It mainly focuses on facial harmony
- Is Botox painful?
Injections usually hurt, so people think that the Botox treatment is painful too. However, the needles used in Botox treatment are so small that it causes almost no pain. The area that has to be injected is usually numbed before giving the injections, so there is almost no pain at all.
Still not sure if you are a perfect candidate for botox or not and if you have certain questions regarding the botox procedure or any other procedure including breast augmentation, Laser resurfacing, Cheek Augmentation, Liposuction, Face Lift, Gynecomastia, Abdominoplasty, etc, feel free to contact Dr. Amit Gupta to get an appointment. It will solve all your doubts and queries related to botox surgery. He offers the best facial rejuvenation cost in India and his results are unbeatable.