Laser Hair Removal Treatment – Step-By-Step Process
January 9, 2023 | By admin
Laser Hair Removal – A Step-By-Step Process
Laser hair removal is a medical procedure in which a concentrated beam of light, which is also known as a laser, is used to remove unwanted hair. During a laser hair removal treatment, a laser emits a light that is absorbed by the pigment, which is melanin, in the hair. This light energy is converted into heat, which further damages the tube-shaped sacs present within the hair follicles. These tube-shaped sacs are responsible for producing hair.
This damage to the sac caused by the laser inhibits any future hair growth. It should also be noted that to achieve permanent hair removal, an individual will need multiple laser hair removal treatments. Further, some maintenance treatments might also be required.
The laser hair treatment is best suited for individuals who have light skin and dark hair. However, the treatment is basically successful on all skin and hair types.
Why is Laser Hair Removal Done?
Laser hair removal treatment is done to remove unwanted hair. This treatment is usually performed on the legs, armpits, upper lip, chin, and the bikini line. One should remember that this treatment should not be done on skin with tattoos. Further, it should not be done on eyelids or the surrounding area.
You must also be aware of the fact that the hair color and skin type of a patient have a great influence on the success of laser hair removal treatments. The basic principle here is that the pigment of the hair should absorb the light and not the pigment of the skin. This is why a contrast between dark hair and light skin provides the best outcomes.
There have also been advancements done in laser hair removal technology that allows people with light skin or darker skin to get good results. However, before you get this treatment done, you must consult with a plastic surgeon.
How Can I Prepare for My Laser Hair Removal Treatment?
If you are interested in getting a laser hair removal done, then the first step is to find a board-certified plastic surgeon who has experience in performing laser hair removal treatments. Ensure that you don’t get this treatment done by nonmedical people or at local spas, salons, and other facilities.
Once you have found the right cosmetic surgeon, then schedule a consultation with the doctor. The doctor will help you determine whether the treatment option is right for you or not. Some things that you can expect during the first consultation are:
- Review your medical history, including use of medications, history of skin disorders, scarring, and any past hair removal procedures that you might have got
- Discuss risks, benefits, and your expectations from the procedure. Talk about what laser hair removal can or cannot do for you
- Take photos for before-and-after assessment and long-term reviews
- Talk about an effective treatment plan and the costs related to it. Usually, laser hair removals are not covered under insurance policies
Beyond this, your doctor might also ask you to follow some instructions, including:
- Stay out of the sun. Avoid sun exposure as much as possible before and after your treatment. Even if you go outside in the sun, then ensure that you are using an SPF30 sunscreen
- Avoid skin creams that might darken your skin. If you have recently got a tan or if you have darker skin, then your doctor might even prescribe a skin bleaching cream
- Avoid using other hair removal methods like plucking, waxing, and electrolysis as they can disturb the hair follicles. These hair removal methods must be avoided for at least four weeks before the treatment
- Avoid the use of blood-thinning and anti-inflammatory drugs
- Trim or shave the treatment area a day before the laser treatment. This helps in removing hair present above the skin that could cause surface skin damage while leaving the hair shafts intact below the surface
What Can You Expect During a Laser Hair Removal?
Laser hair removal treatment usually requires two to six treatments. The interval between the treatments will vary depending on the location of the treatment. During the treatment, the patient will have to wear special goggles to protect his or her eyes from the laser beam.
It should also be noted that the time taken to perform the procedure can vary greatly depending on the treatment area. For example, for treating the upper lips, only a few minutes might be required.
After the procedure is done, one might notice some redness and swelling for the first few hours. To reduce any discomfort, ensure that you are applying ice to the treated area. A steroid cream might also be applied if you have a skin reaction after the laser hair removal.
The Expected Results
After the laser hair removal treatment, ensure that you are following all the advice provided by your cosmetic surgeon. You should also remember that your hairs will not fall out immediately after the treatment but will shed over a period of a few days to weeks. This might even look like continued hair growth.
Because of this, it is vital for you to get repeated treatments done. It should be noted that laser hair treatment works best with hair follicles in the new-growth stage. Results can vary from one person to another. You will also need maintenance treatments to completely get rid of your unwanted hair.
Why Should You Get Laser Hair Treatment at Divine Cosmetic Surgery?
We at Divine Cosmetic Surgery have an amazing team of cosmetic surgeons who have decades of collective experience. Our surgeons are known for providing amazing laser hair removal treatments to patients.
We use the best that technology has to offer to ensure that our patients always get the best possible results from their treatments. We also make sure that we are there for our patients whenever they might have a question. So, what are you waiting for?
Book your first consultation today and say goodbye to unwanted body hair!