- FUT (Follicular Unit Transplantation) with Trichophytic Closure
- FUE – Follicular Unit Extraction
- Long Hair Transplant
- Bio Synthetic Hair Transplant
- Semi-Robotic Hair Transplant
- Bad Hair Transplant
- Micro-Refined Microfollicular Hair Transplant (MMFT) – Dr Amit Gupta’s Technique
- Hair PRP
- Correction of Previous Bad Hair Transplant
- Complication of Hair Transplant
- Beard and Body Hair transplant – BHT
- Looking for Hair Transplant
- Low Cost Hair Transplant
- Top Hair Transplant Doctor in India
- Non-Surgical Hair Loss Treatment
- Myths & Misconceptions of the Transplant
- Hair Loss
- FAQ of Hair Transplant
Complication of Hair Transplant
Hair transplant is one of the most common plastic surgery procedures in men and is also increasing for women. Complications often occur, and most of them are caused by technical issues. These can be prevented by following proper and diligent steps of care.
Complications related to medical illness
Patients who suffer from diabetes are more prone to infection, bad scar healing and poor overall growth of hair. At Divine Cosmetic Surgery, we have established protocols and for diabetics, we insist on good control of glycosylated haemoglobin and reasonable control of fasting blood sugar. In addition, we have also started antibiotics i.e., augmentin in the morning and continue till 7 days post-procedure. Proper head wash with antidandruff shampoo is started in the preoperative period itself.
Complications related to recipient area
- Patients who commonly suffer from dandruff and other fungal infections, it is essential to use an anti-dandruff shampoo at least once a week and if required, then the use of ketoconazole cream is also advised, particularly in the donor area.
- Medical illnesses like cardiac disorders are bound to be treated by the use of blood thinners. This must be looked after and any patients on anticancer medicines and immunosuppressants should not be operated.
- Patients suffering from alopecia areata and psoriasis should be operated with great caution and all the evidence of active disease must be removed cautiously. We prefer to do a test patch and wait for a year to witness the progress after cessation of active disease.
Complications like bleeding, hematoma, infection, pain can occur after carrying out any surgical procedure. However, the incidence must be less and with experienced clinics it should not be visible. Any of the problems can be prevented by adhering to careful plastic surgery principles.
Complications related to donor area
- Common problems regarding this are poor scarring, delayed scar healing, shock loss around the donor hair, skin necros, persistent pain and numbness.
- Pain and numbness is a major problem that can occur due to neuroma, deep incision after the cutting of galea and consequent nerve damage. Steroid injections too are a help at times and adhere to the technique is the best way to avoid this complication altogether. Another problem is skin necrosis, something that occurs most commonly to smokers and this happens with a very thick strip with tight closure, massive infection and excess FUE which does not let the skin to heal. In these situations, it is best to be conservative, dress the wound with betadine ointment and not use systemic antibiotics. Poor scarring is due to improper technique inclosure, a tight scalp and sometimes too much of FUE in a small area but these can be avoided with proper technique and care and usually it heals in 3-6 weeks. Divine Cosmetic Surgery provides for proficient services from the best surgeon and we perform the trichophytic closure to achieve a virtually indistinguishable scar in FUT cases.
- Some of the most common situations are poor or no hair growth, poor hairline design, very low hairline, the poor density of hair, pimples, improper planning of future procedures, planting of body hair or using punch grafts creating a cornfield type appearance.
- The abovementioned are some of the technical issues that occur due to poor surgical technique, bad planning, surgeon’s experience and competence. It is essential patients check the credibility of the doctor and the clinic, along with which they should also check that the doctor is a Plastic Surgeon. One should not be misled by huge promises or cheap costs because the aim is to get the best treatment and build a relationship. You must further check if the team belongs to the doctor or has been hired for the surgery. All these portray the commitment of the doctor towards the patient.